Douglass Academy is a free, public school open to all children in the State of North Carolina.
No fees or tuition are ever charged for admission.
DAC School Features
- Tuition-free, open enrollment, K-5 public school.
- Located in the newly renovated, historic Peabody building in the heart of downtown Wilmington.
- Outperformed neighboring district schools’ End-of-Grade test averages by a range of 23-29 percentage points in the most recently published NCDPI reports.
- Requires no prerequisite screening/testing.
- Diverse student populations, including special needs students, 91% non-white students, and 85% low economically disadvantaged students.
- Uses research-based, proven Direct Instruction teaching method.
- Curated, rigorous Classical curriculum including Latin, Cursive, and Composition.
- Intensive new-hire training.
- Continuous in-service monitoring to evaluate and optimize instruction.
- Accelerated learning program reviews individual student performance data to promote qualifying students to advanced studies on a subject -by-subject basis.
- Prioritizes the use of positive reinforcement in teaching and discipline.
- Student uniforms and professional teacher dress requirements.
- Provides bus services, as well as breakfast and lunch for students.
- Varied extracurricular activities.
- Operates on a traditional public school schedule for compatibility with district schools.
- Regular parent surveys conducted.
- Annual, third-party financial audits conducted.