Thank you for your interest in Douglass Academy.
We offer our classical instructional delivery for either on-campus or on-line attendance.
Our on-campus instructional delivery complies with all safety regulations and conditions for Plan B including:
- temperature and wellness checks in cars before drop-off,
- hand sanitation at building entrances
- 6 foot social distancing in classrooms and offices
- masks required in all transitions or where 6 foot distances may not be continuously maintained
- when properly distanced, students are allowed mask breaks until the next transition
- periodic sanitary wipe-downs of frequently touched surfaces
Our on-line instruction is delivered concurrently with the on-campus instruction and follows the same curriculum for grades 3-8. For K-2, on-line classes are separate from on-campus classes. For on-line attendance, all students are expected to:
- login on time – daily tardies, attendance, and early check-outs noted
- wear uniforms and comply with dress codes during classes,
- participate in class discussions,
- complete all work both during in-class sessions and after-class homework
- enrolling for on-line attendance is a minimum one-year commitment
- If building occupancy limits are lifted, on-line students enrolling after July 15, 2020 cannot be guaranteed a seat on-campus and must continue on-line.
- return all school-provided equipment in good condition at year end.
“When I tell people that my child goes to a charter school, and they say, “what’s that?” I tell them that my child is getting a private school education for free…”
– Terrika Tarrance, Kindergarten parent at Douglass Academy
Douglass Academy is a tuition-free school open to all children in the State of North Carolina.
No fees or tuition are ever charged for admission.
Douglass Academy Features
- Tuition-free, open enrollment, K-5 public school.
- Outperformed neighboring district schools’ End-of-Grade test by an average of 9.14 percentage points in the most recently published NCDPI reports.
- Provides bus services, as well as breakfast and lunch for students.
- Located in the newly renovated, historic Peabody building in the heart of downtown Wilmington.
- Outstanding extracurricular activities.